Frequently Asked Questions

Our Company

Who we are

We know that your time is valuable, and that there are many options to choose from when looking to file for an EIN, however, we look forward to you choosing us to get this done for you. Our dedicated and knowledgeable representatives provide unmatched customer service to our clients and are excited to work for you.

We are a private third-party company, with no affiliation to the IRS or any government agency.

We will make every effort to ensure this process is as effortless and stress-free as possible for you. We will take care of the federal filings to obtain the EIN while you take care of your business.

How to contact us

You may contact us via the Contact Us link located at the bottom of the page.

Our Services

What is the difference between an EIN and a Tax ID Number?

An EIN can also be referred to as a Federal Tax ID Number in order to identify a business entity

What's the objective of applying for a Tax ID Number?

An EIN/TAX ID number is used by the Federal Government for the sole purpose of the identifying your business with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

What if I already have an EIN or Tax ID Number?

If you have a previously been assigned EIN but do not remember it, we can assist you in retrieving that EIN and getting the official verification letter from the IRS.

Why do I need a Tax ID Number or EIN?

You will need an EIN if any of the following apply:

  • You operate as a Partnership, LLC, Corporation, or as a Sole Proprietor
  • You have employees
  • Withhold employee taxes from wages paid to non-residential aliens.
  • File Taxation forms such as: Excise, sales, employment, or Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms.
  • Have a tax-deferred pension plan, or KEOGH.

If you operate any of the following, you will also need an EIN, in this case it is referred to as a Federal Tax ID Number:

  • Estates
  • Trusts
  • Non-profits
  • Farmers co-ops
  • Real estate mortgage investment conduits (REMIC)

The lists above are not all-inclusive. Please consult a licensed professional should you have any questions.

When should I apply for a new EIN / Tax ID Number?

If you purchase an existing business, you may need a new EIN, however, this does not always apply.

If you have an EIN and only need to change the business name or address, you do not need to apply for a new EIN. You will just contact the IRS to make these changes.

If any of following actions occur, you will need to apply for a new EIN. These events are organized by entity type:

Limited Liability Companies (LLC)

  • A new charter is formed with the Secretary of State
  • You incorporate your business
  • There are many additional reasons that an LLC would need to apply for EIN; contact the well-trained professionals on this site for additional information.


  • A new charter is formed with your Secretary of State
  • A legal merger results in a new corporation being formed
  • You are a subsidiary of a corporation using the primary corporations EIN, but become a division of that corporation

Sole Proprietors

  • You decide to incorporate your business
  • You become a Partnership
  • You purchase an existing business or inherit a business and want to operate as a sole proprietor. Sole Proprietor EINs are formed directly under an individual’s Social Security Number and cannot be transferred to another individual.


  • You incorporate the partnership
  • You or your partner loses or hands over their portion of the business and, subsequently, decide to conduct business as a sole proprietor.
  • If you close one partnership and decide to begin another one.


  • When money from the estate is used to create a trust; that is not an extension of the Estate.
  • You act on behalf of the estate that operates a business after the death of the estate holder


  • Different type of trust
  • When a trust needs to be changed to an estate
  • If the classification or type of trust you previously applied for needs to be amended.

The lists above are not all-inclusive. Please consult a licensed professional should you have any questions.

Why is there a fee?

You can always go to the IRS website to obtain your EIN on your own, at no charge, however, for many of our clients, it is not that simple. When an EIN cannot be assigned online, the IRS must assign the EIN manually. This involves strict policies and guidelines set forth by the IRS that must be followed to obtain the EIN. Specific documentation must be faxed in, along with official, federal forms that must be filled out meticulously down to the minute details. If even one box is checked incorrectly on the government form, your EIN application will be rejected without any explanation, notice, or advisement. Our trained representatives will work on your behalf, completing difficult government forms, preparing supplemental documentation, and speaking to the IRS to get your EIN assigned.

Let us eliminate the need for you to waste countless hours on the phone, sifting through endless instructions and complicated forms.

Our website will assist you in selecting the correct entity type, and the simplified, easy-to-use application will allow you to submit your EIN application to our trained representatives.

Just like you can file your taxes on your own, most of us would consider paying a fee and have someone ensure that they are filed correctly; this is what we will do to assist you in obtaining your EIN.

How fast can I expect to receive my EIN?

In most cases you will receive your EIN the same day. If the IRS requires additional information, it may take up to two business days.

What is EIN retrieval?

If you have lost your existing EIN, we can assist in the process to retrieve it. Complete our application with the required information that must match IRS records.

What is the EIN Verification letter?

If you have an existing EIN and need the official verification letter, 147C, complete the application with the required information. The existing EIN must be included and valid in the application.

Tax ID Support is a document preparation and filing service. We do not provide legal, financial, or any other professional advice. We work directly with the IRS, on your behalf, as your assigned Third Party Designee. If you go directly through the IRS we will not be able to assist you with a new EIN. This website is not affiliated with any government agency inclulding the US Dept of Treasury or the Internal Revenue Service. Use of the website is subject to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.